Friday, August 4, 2017

Still Heading Home

Bob Kerrey Bridge, Omaha-Council Bluffs

Corn... all day long...
Sheer gratitude for the gentle ways that so many people shaped my ride...

  • Brad, maintenance worker and route diviner extraordinaire from the Stillwater, MT, road crew, who guided me to "see more shit and maybe not get killed;"
  • Robert Hass -- "I thought it might help to write it down here that the truth of things might be easier to come to on a quiet evening in the clear, dry mountain air;"
  • Dan and Marcia (again) -- heroes/heroines as they care for their parents and their own kids;
  • Dick, whose hospitality I've now relied on more than once, but who I rarely see at the house;
  • Jim "the fishin' fool" at the KOA in Lyons Ferry on the Snake River, for his tip about the mythical bike trail;
  • David Emanuel, fellow rider, and with a few miles to go;
  • Barb, Steve, and Frank, whose PCT attempt was cut short by snow, and who then bequeathed to me their store of dried fruit!
  • Rob, Cath, Sam, and Carsen, whose move to Portland (move to New Zealand next, please?) brought about this whole endeavor;
  • my Dr. Pepper and water Samaritans on the ride to Odell Lake;
  • Jay and Stephanie from Portland, and Sheldon from SF, who supplied me with energy and good spirits heading up to Crater Lake;
  • Gregg and Vivian, my saviors, abductors, and almost unwitting agents of my demise while mountain biking in Oakridge -- I cannot say enough of your many kindnesses;
  • Cousin Brian for the comfy mattress at his place in Rocklin -- eat healthy breakfasts!;
  • Vin, Margaret, and all the clan at 1301 Los Rios Dr.!
  • Tom and Lillian in Berkeley, for the room, the talk, and the architectural history tour;
  • Molly and Nate, living the urban life in SF -- thanks for making room for one more!
  • Bob and Sally and Alexa -- so wonderful to see all of you and spend some time in Paradise Tiburon;
  • Nigel, seeing America by train -- I hope it becomes less of an enormous garbage dump as you travel;
  • Rottweilers with shock collars -- gotta love 'em.


"Most of the time, we really don't know how we feel, what we love, what we fear, what we desire."
                                                                   -- Norman Fischer, Taking Our Places

No comments:

Post a Comment